Saturday 31 March 2012

Things I Miss About America..

After being here for little over a month now (38 days to be exact), I'm definitely settled in, and not looking back. But of course there are some things about living here that constantly reminds me that I am not in New England anymore.

This feeling was of course to be expected. I am living in a completely different country. What I took for granted in the States is a luxury or unknown thing here. Not only are some things different but I've started to crave things (and eat things) that I don't typically want or eat at home. My world has been completely turned upside down and I am constantly trying to right myself again.

Here is a list of things that I miss or crave...
1. Charmin Toilet Paper (Decent toilet paper). When we first arrived in Nawojka (our lovely dorm), we encountered the realization of the value of toilet paper here. The toilet paper that was supplied to use and is still bought by our suitemates has the texture and appearance of cardboard. The Charmin bear would be running to the hills if she saw this type of toilet paper.

2. Home-cooked meals. Since we don't have a meal plan here and little kitchen supplies, I find myself eating out for almost every meal here. I know what you're thinking, how can I afford this? But trust me, everything is so cheap, I usually only spend $10-15 per day on food (30-35 zloty). We don't have a fridge and since it is warming up outside, we have lost the ability of putting our drinks and yogurts out on our window ledge to cool. Luckily, I have found cheap places to buy fruits & veggies, and everyday I buy a sandwich for 4 zloty ($1.33) at a sklep (store) or I dish out more zloty for a zapiekanka (a open-faced baguette or bread topped mainly with mushrooms and cheese and other vegetables and tomato sauce) and a coke. I am excited to attempt to make polish cuisine back home!
3. English! This of course wast to expected. Polish is a very hard language to pick up. Thankfully I am in a Polish language course four days a week which is helping tremendously. I love walking through the Rynek (Main Square of Krakow) and stop dead in my tracks when a fellow English-speaker walks by. I am so in tuned to English here now, no matter the accent that is attached to it. I listen into their conversations like a pro-stalker and for that moment I forget where I am. I try to smile and make friends with every English speaking person or at least acknowledge them.


That's all that I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I will be able to think of more and add it to the never-ending list. Now don't get the wrong impression that these things and my complaining is consuming my time here. It's not. I can proudly say that last night I walked home from Kiefirek (Polish grocery store, on almost every street) with the cardboard-like toilet paper in tow because it is wicked cheap. These are all just adjustments and I'm certainly enjoying and entertaining myself more than complaining. I have enjoyed finding some little things that I wouldn't ordinarily think about. This experience is just teaching me to not take even the littlest thing for granted.

As always I am living and learning, and above enjoying life here in the great city of Krakow.
Next up: Easter Extravaganza!

No comments:

Post a Comment